My inbox has been bursting with requests from clients for online occasion wear shopping of late. It would seem that after two years where special occasions have had to be postponed they’re now coming thick and fast (and I can’t tell you how happy I am about it!)
There’s nothing better then getting dressed up and feeling fabulous for a wedding or day at the races, but I know a lot of my clients and followers find it hard to choose what to wear. There’s always added pressure when choosing an outfit for a special day; we feel more ‘on show’ and know that there’s likely going to be lots of pictures taken and shared too.
With this in mind I’ve put together some guideance on occasion wear shopping that I hope will help if you have a big event coming up. I’ve also selected three outfit options at different price points to give you some inspiration.
My Top Tips
- If you’re struggling for inspiration have a think about that last occasion/wedding/christening you went to where you felt great. Take note of the style the wore, the fabric and accessories – if something has worked well in the past then there’s nothing wrong with sticking to a formula
- Research the venue and theme – if you have an idea of the type of venue or theme of the wedding you’re attending you can make an informed decision about the type of outfit you may want to opt for. A festival wedding will lead you to a very different choice of outfit as apposed to evening ceremony in a plush hotel
- Stay true to your style – think about what you prioritise day-to-day when it comes to clothes and try not to deviate from this. If you usually prefer to cover your legs then consider a jumpsuit or elegant trousers, if you can’t stand walking in heels then look for a low block style, wedge or embellished flats. You’ll look your best when you’re comfortable and confident
- Look for items you can dress up or down – all of the examples below can be styled in multiple ways. I don’t believe in saving things for best EVER. The more you spend on something, the more you should wear it. We don’t want any one hit wonders hanging in the wardrobe for months on end having only ever been worn once.
- Lastly, before rushing out to be an entirely new outfit take a look in your wardrobe to see if there is anything you already own that could be re-worn or re-styled. I have linked items to buy below but there are also a multitude of websites now where you can hire dresses for special occasions (this is a great option for something like a black tie event where it would be impossible to get something that could work on a day-to-day basis too).
Nobody’s Child have some gorgeous dresses in simple silhouettes, stunning colours and pretty patterns that are perfect for a Summer wedding.
This Pink Cut Out Alice Midi Dress is such a flattering silhouette to enhance waist definition and skim the hops. I love a midi length as it offers elegance and comfort combined.
Style with a fascinator, heels and clutch for your special occasion and then switch to flat sandals and a woven tote bag for day-to-day.
Another great brand with lots of outfit options under the £100 mark is Coast who are killing it this season for wedding outfit options.
The dress shape of the season by Hope & Ivy, this square neckline flatters most bust sizes and the sleeve length is great if you prefer to keep the top half of your arms covered.
Style for the races or a wedding with neutral, strappy heels or pick out the blue tones from the pattern with your footwear and accessories. For daytime pair with white trainers and a denim jacket.
Shop the Chloe dress here.
If you’re investing a little more then it’s of even greater importance that you can style whatever you purchase in multiple ways.
This Nadira Dress from Reformation is a real show-stopper. The bold print will work best on those of you tall ladies (it may overwhelm you if you’re petite).
I love this for a wedding, christening or the races and would then be taking this on holiday to wear with wedges or flat sandals and a huge hat and sunglasses. Super glam.
If you have a special occasion on the horizon this Summer and would like some help selecting an outfit you can view my online shopping packages here. You don’t need to be an existing client of mine to book, you would complete a questionnaire and have a short zoom chat with me beforehand.
Until next time